About Texas Children's Hospital
Founded in 1996, Texas Children’s Health Plan is the nation's first health maintenance organization (HMO) created just for children. We provide STAR/Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to pregnant women, teens, children and adults in Houston and surrounding areas. Currently, the Health Plan has more than 375,000 members who receive care from our network of more than 1,100 primary care physicians, 3,200 specialists, and 70 hospitals. Texas Children's Health Plan is also the largest combined STAR/CHIP Managed Care Organization in the Harris County service area.
We are searching for a Public Relations Specialist— someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you'll be responsible for developing, implementing and managing strategic media relations and public relations for the Health Plan on a local, regional and national front. In addition, this role will focus on sharing Health Plan and legislation focused stories and initiatives with the internal audience.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Represents the Health Plan with key organization and physician leadership, builds relationships and actively seeks out media worthy opportunities
- Identifies opportunities to repurpose PR stories for the internal audience
- Works with leadership to identify programs and initiatives that need to be shared with Health Plan employees
- Identifies appropriate media contacts to target for specific initiatives/audiences
- Knows when/how to drive stories beyond local market media to national/regional exposure and how to leverage community/local media, events and programs against strategic goals
- Fosters and builds media relationships on a national, regional, and local level
- Manages media effectively and proactively, ensuring the organization’s interests are served
- Prepares talking points and helps prep spokespersons as directed by department leadership
- Assists in managing media inquiries, planning press events, monitoring coverage, etc.
Skills & Requirements
- 3 years of Public Relations experience
- Experience in the Public Relations field including national PR experience with a top tier entity/client
- Experience in healthcare or not-for-profit
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.