About Texas Children's Hospital
Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus is Houston’s first community hospital designed, built and equipped exclusively for children in one of the city’s most rapidly growing communities in the area from Sugar Land to Bryan-College Station, Texas. Located at I-10 and Barker Cypress, our 515,007-square-foot hospital houses the only 24/7 pediatric emergency room in the Greater West Houston area, four operating rooms, 16-bed pediatric intensive care unit, 46 acute care beds, advanced imaging services including MRI and CT scans, a neurophysiology sleep lab, a pathology lab and a full-scale pharmacy.
To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
We are searching for a Pathology Patient Care Tech - someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you’ll perform phlebotomy, order entry, specimen processing, and cleric tasks for the Central Receiving and Processing section of the Pathology department. In addition, you will train new staff, manage defects, and process specimens for laboratory referral.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Adhere to hospital and departmental patient identification policies by checking that two patient identifiers match on the patient’s arm band, labels, and requisition prior to performing phlebotomy
- Interact with patients and parents to perform phlebotomy procedures with age-appropriate care, and use appropriate equipment, supplies, holding techniques, language, and the appropriate blood draw volumes for the individual age and weight of the patient
- Perform venipuncture, fingerstick, and heelstick phlebotomy procedures that can include blood cultures, newborn screens, dxylose and glucose tolerances, et cetera
- Follow standard work processes and flow by transporting patient samples to the laboratory immediately after collection
- Adhere to all applicable safety policies, including changing gloves between patients, proper hand hygiene technique, containment of spills and splatters, and proper disposal of needles and contaminated supplies
- Maintain the Kanban system by using the approved phlebotomy tray and/or cart
- Use pain management techniques while performing phlebotomy in the outpatient setting, and engage and educate the patient/family during the process
- Prioritize, investigate, and process specimens as needed
- Centrifuge, aliquots, and label specimens according to procedures
- Verify patient demographic information in the LIS and on the OPTIO
- Perform simple laboratory procedures such as preparing protein-free filtrates for pyruvic acid tests, pipetting acids into urine containers, and verifying the pH on urine specimens accurately
- Organize, prioritize, process, and package all specimens within the established turnaround times
- Demonstrate commitment to customer needs by taking responsibility for customer issues/problems and provide a timely solution
- Perform addition, deletion, and cancellation procedures as well as the order entry for institutional specimens
- Direct work flow by making necessary changes to the workstation assignments as needed
- Train new employees and evaluate the competency of the liaison and phlebotomy staff
- High school diploma or GED
- PBT-ASCP certification preferred
- 1 year experience in phlebotomy or specimen processing
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.