About Texas Children's Hospital
Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston, opened its doors in April 2017. Located in one of the fastest growing areas in north Houston, the hospital, which has a staff of over 600, has already provided thousands of patients with specialty care closer to home. The outpatient building, which opened in October 2016, includes 72 exam rooms and clinics for major pediatric specialties including cancer, cardiology, allergy/immunology/rheumatology and diabetes/endocrinology. The hospital’s inpatient building features the area’s only dedicated pediatric emergency center with 25 patient rooms, 32 acute care beds, four operating rooms, 12 radiology suites and 28 critical care rooms.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
We are on the hunt for a Certified Pharmacy Technician—someone who can thrive in a fast-paced hospital environment. In this position you’ll be asked to assist the pharmacist in the preparation, filling, and delivery of medications, and other tasks associated with dispensing. We need someone with excellent knowledge of current hospital and departmental standards for the handling of pharmaceuticals.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Assists the pharmacist in ensuring the appropriateness of medication doses by obtaining and entering patient information at the prescription intake window including weight, allergies, and other medications
- Performs cashiering according to policy and procedure as evidenced by lack of over/short; pulls overdue prescriptions for credit
- Assists the pharmacists in ensuring patients receive correct written medication information on all new prescriptions
- Pulls the correct medication required to fill prescriptions and orders as verified by the pharmacist and as documented by a lack of dispensing errors
- Legibly initials all doses and obtains pharmacist initial/final checks
- Ensures medications/prescriptions are checked by a pharmacist before distribution
- Follows aseptic technique and infection control in the preparation of sterile products. Insists other technicians and pharmacists practice aseptic technique and infection control.
- Completes annual re-certification and scores at least 90% on the aseptic technique/infection control skills and written exam as documented by a qualified observer
- Assigns dilution and expiration dating labels to medications according to department standards
- Ensures communication of extemporaneously compounded ambulatory prescriptions is relayed to Compounding & Repackaging area
- Ensures medications/prescriptions are processed and delivered within department time frame standards
- Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies. Follows procedures established for stock replacement. Follows non-formulary procedures
- Ensures an environment that is clean, neat, and organized according to departmental standards
- Completes and properly documents Daily and Monthly Activity checklists including expired drug checking, cleaning assignments, area inspections, and ordering supplies and forms
- Ensures counseling refusals are properly documented
- Performs and documents medication refill and pick-up reminders to increase patient compliance
- Keeps immediate supervisor informed of issues
- Checks all available means of communication including e-mail and mailbox every shift
- Answers the phone within departmental standards and limits personal phone calls so as to not interfere with patient care or operations
- Maintains patient confidentiality as documented by lack of complaints and observation by manager
- Demonstrates initiative when opportunities are presented as evidenced by successful completion of projects
- Registration with the State Board of Pharmacy to work as a technician in Texas
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPht) by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
- Two years of pharmacy technician experience preferred
- Knowledge of current hospital and departmental standards for the handling of pharmaceuticals
- Good math, reading, and communication skills
- Must be able to operate equipment used in the preparation of sterile products
- IV certification preferred
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.