About Texas Children's Hospital
Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus is Houston’s first community hospital designed, built and equipped exclusively for children in one of the city’s most rapidly growing communities in the area from Sugar Land to Bryan-College Station, Texas. Located at I-10 and Barker Cypress, our 515,007-square-foot hospital houses the only 24/7 pediatric emergency room in the Greater West Houston area, two operating rooms, 12-bed pediatric intensive care unit, 32 acute care beds, advanced imaging services including MRI and CT scans, a neurophysiology sleep lab, a pathology lab and a full-scale pharmacy.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
We are searching for a Pathology Patient Care Technician - someone who works well in a fast-paced hospital setting. In this position, you’ll perform phlebotomy, order entry, specimen processing and clerical tasks in the Central Receiving and Processing section of the Pathology Department. Also trains new staff, manages defects and processes specimens for reference laboratory referral.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Adheres to hospital and departmental patient identification policies by ensuring to check that the two patient identifiers match on the patient’s armband, the labels and requisition prior to performing phlebotomy
- Interacts with patients and parents to perform phlebotomy procedures following protocols for age appropriate care
- Uses appropriate equipment/ supplies, holding techniques, and language and knows maximum blood draw volumes for age and weight of patient
- Performs venipuncture, fingerstick, and heelstick phlebotomy procedures
- Prioritizes specimens according to policies and procedures. Transport specimens to the appropriate testing station
- Investigates incidents of lost specimens and/or other problems with the pneumatic tube system and communicates with Facilities Operations and Nursing to resolve problems
- Order and process specimens using one piece flow standard work process
- Ensure to check that the two approved patient identifiers; match prior to order entry and again prior to pouring the sample into a sample cup and labeling the primary tube
- Organizes and labels specimen and requisition according to the guidelines written in the send out procedure manual to meet requirements of reference labs
- Greets parents and patients promptly and courteously; values customers and gives customer full attentions
- Clarifies procedures and asks questions to determine needs; listens carefully and attends to tone of voice and body language; provide appropriate information
- Independently investigates and resolves discrepancies with patient demographics and labels by contacting personnel in other departments, nurses, and admissions staff, using the electronic medical record
- Performs mandated reading assignments and signing off on procedure manuals, books and memorandums as assigned in a timely manner; signs attendance rosters
- Attends mandatory safety meetings and participates in quarterly fire drills. Attends continuing education and weekly in-service programs/meetings, seminars, and reviews and shares professional publications with others
- Trains new employees and evaluates competency of other Pathology Patient Care Technician staff in the performance of phlebotomy, order entry, and clerical and computer functions, centrifugation, labeling, and other procedures; completes documentation of progress reports and evaluations
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One (1) year phlebotomy/specimen processing experience
- PBT (ASCP) certification preferred
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.