About Texas Children's Hospital
Founded in 1996, Texas Children’s Health Plan is the nation's first health maintenance organization (HMO) created just for children. We provide STAR/Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to pregnant women, teens, children and adults in Houston and surrounding areas. Currently, the Health Plan has more than 375,000 members who receive care from our network of more than 1,100 primary care physicians, 3,200 specialists, and 70 hospitals. Texas Children's Health Plan is also the largest combined STAR/CHIP Managed Care Organization in the Harris County service area.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
We are searching for a Medical Assistant – someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you’ll gather information, assess and provide direct care to patients.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Provides general assistance and customer service to TCHP members and families
- Assists in the collection of patient/family data that may include biophysical, psychosocial, developmental, cultural, and environmental information per practice protocol
- Prepares patient for examination per practice protocol, including administering questionnaires
- Assists provider, as directed, during treatments, examinations and testing as directed by provider and within scope of practice
- Schedules appointments per practice protocol
- Follows practice protocol in reporting and documenting results
- Performs and documents scheduled quality control, instrument maintenance and calibration procedures according to manufacturer information
- Demonstrates positive and effective interpersonal skills when dealing with patients/families, visitors, peers, and other health care team members in order to foster a patient centric model
- High school diploma or GED
- BLS - Cert-Basic Life Support required
- CMA-AAM - Cert-Cert Medical Assistant preferred
- RMA - Registered Medical Assistant preferred
- EMT - Emergency Medical Technician preferred
- Ability to take vital signs, weigh patients, perform phlebotomy, and use thermometer, scales, sphygmomanometer/stethoscope, butterfly needles, hearing/vision screening equipment, pulse oximetry, typanometer, basic laboratory equipment, i.e., microscope, centrifuge, hematology analyzer, and specimen collection
- Proficiency with treatments such as nebulizer, ear irrigation, and dressing changes and/or the ability to assist with staple removal, Pap smears, and other basic office procedures
- Familiarity with all business office machines, i.e., computer, multiline telephone, copier and fax machines
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills required
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.