About Texas Children's Hospital
Texas Children’s Health Plan (TCHP) is the largest Texas Medicaid managed care organization, and is part of the Texas Children’s healthcare system. Founded in 1996, TCHP is the nation's first health maintenance organization (HMO) created just for children and pregnant women. Our plan is also the largest combined STAR/CHIP Managed Care Organization in the Harris County service area. Currently the Health Plan serves more than 450,000 members across three service areas (Harris, Jefferson, North East). Members of the plan receive care from our network of more than 4,000 primary care physicians, 8,000 specialists, and 110 hospitals. They can also receive care at The Center for Children and Women, a patient and family-centered medical home with two convenient locations for TCHP members who can have all their medical needs met in one place, receiving multiple services the same day. TCHP is a recognized leader at encouraging holistic care that empowers families to live healthier lives.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit www.texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities.
You can also learn more about our amazing culture at www.infinitepassion.org
We are searching for a Laboratory Technician – someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you’ll perform technical laboratory procedures, analyze data, and report results to be used for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. You will be responsible for the provision of quality patient care and to assure and improve laboratory customer satisfaction.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Acts as section lead to organize and prioritize the workload so that patient specimens are processed prior to scheduled specimen pickup or delivery
- Reports critical results as soon as possible to the appropriate person according to laboratory protocol and documents information in the LIS
- Performs routine test procedures according to the written guidelines in the procedure manuals
- Addresses customer service issues and consults with reference laboratory service departments
- Troubleshoots equipment problems and makes minor repairs when applicable by consulting the equipment manuals and manager
- Participates in continuing education and in-service programs by attending section meetings, workshops, and seminars
- Performs other duties and functions when required by Manager, in accordance with the departmental and section needs
- Demonstrates positive and effective interpersonal skills when dealing with patients/families, visitors, peers, and other health care team members
- Ensures and participates in ongoing communication with other health care team members to enhance patient-centered care and facilitate center operations
- Performs phlebotomy procedures, as needed
- Associate’s Degree
- Two (2) years of laboratory experience (A Bachelor’s Degree can substitute for one year of the experience requirement)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) course for health care providers
- Knowledge of hospital laboratory operations
- Ability to operate a PC and other laboratory equipment
- Ability to apply theoretical knowledge to clinical work and solid critical thinking skills to troubleshoot problems
- Ability to speak proficiently in English and Spanish is preferred (must pass and maintain the Healthcare Language Interpretation Assessment by MasterWord Interpreter Services)
- Associate’s Degree with MLT certification OR Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) certification or Medical Laboratory Specialist (MLS) certification issued by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) preferred
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.