About Texas Children's HospitalTexas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston, opened its doors in April 2017. Located in one of the fastest growing areas in north Houston, the hospital, which has a staff of over 600, has already provided thousands of patients with specialty care closer to home. The outpatient building, which opened in October 2016, includes 72 exam rooms and clinics for major pediatric specialties including cancer, cardiology, allergy/immunology/rheumatology and diabetes/endocrinology. The hospital’s inpatient building features the area’s only dedicated pediatric emergency center with 25 patient rooms, 32 acute care beds, four operating rooms, 12 radiology suites and 28 critical care rooms. To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.
We are searching for a Milk Bank Technician - someone who works well in a fast-paced hospital setting. In this position, you’ll store, prepare, and deliver a mother’s breast milk and/or pasteurized donor human milk to hospitalized infants. Additionally, you will provide assistance to mothers of hospitalized infants expressing milk for their infants in a manner appropriate and as necessary.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
· Accurately weighs, measures, and prepares mother’s own and/or pasteurized donor human milk for infant feeding per physician’s orders
· Calculates accurate quantities of mother’s own/pasteurized donor human milk and human milk fortifiers based on diet order
· Uses sanitary techniques according to established procedures to prepare and store mother’s own/pasteurized donor human milk for infant feedin
· Maintains sanitation standards in the Milk Bank with daily sanitation of work areas
· Monitors all needed milk preparation/storage supplies and discards expired nutritional additives
· Documents and delivers properly labeled human milk feedings to appropriate patient care area
· Utilizes, monitors, and sanitizes all milk preparation (i.e., analyzer, centrifuge, milk warmer) and storage (i.e., refrigerators, freezers) equipment and supplies per departmental policy
· Communicates with lactation consultants, nurses, co-workers, and parents to ensure accurate milk preparation, collection, and storage
· Maintains daily inventory and stock of all Milk Bank supplies and equipment required for human milk collection, preparation, and storage
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Six months healthcare-related work experience (A Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, Healthcare or related field can substitute for six (6) months of experience)
· One-year food and nutrition or breastfeeding education experience preferred
· Knowledge of milk preparation, measurement, and sanitary techniques
· Ability to maintain sanitation levels and operate computers on a basic level
· Ability to operate electronic scales, analyzer, and centrifuge with a high degree of accuracy