About Texas Children's HospitalSince 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years. Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation. To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org. Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Technical Specialist – someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will oversee workflow and perform quality assurance duties in the laboratory section of your responsibility. You may also serve as team leader, scheduler, and primary trainer for the section.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
· Performs specimen testing, quality control, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting and of the associated specimen testing processes, procedures, and documentation
· Validates specimen identification per hospital and departmental policies and procedures and appropriateness of sample type and size; processes according to specimen handling protocols defined in standard operating procedures
· Manages special projects and performs tests
· Manages projects in collaboration with medical staff and other personnel as negotiated by Medical Director
· Performs and documents quality control procedures
· Assists with the performance of proficiency studies and surveys, ensuring that materials are processed, tested, and reported accurately; investigates problems or unacceptable results and completes necessary documentation
· Performs instrument function checks, calibration, maintenance, and evaluation
· Performs or supervises performance and documentation of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on the instruments and equipment in the section; maintains record keeping system
· Participates in the teaching of other personnel; MT and MLT internship programs; participates in continuing education
· Demonstrates theoretical and practical knowledge of procedures and instrumentation, maintains expertise in specialty area, and exhibits enthusiasm while teaching students, new employees, and others in a clear communication style
· Takes inventory and orders supplies in Material Management’s system; monitors expiration dates. Assists with troubleshooting backorders and related problems
· Performs other essential job-related functions
· Performs laboratory in-charge duties on weekends and holidays in the absence of supervisorial or administrative personnel
· Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biological science required
· Master’s degree (or higher) in biological, chemistry, or laboratory science may substitute for one year of the required experience
· BB-ASCP, C-ASP, CLSP-NCA, G-ASCP, HT-ASCP, HTL-ASCP, M-ASCP, MB-ASCP, MLS-ASCP, MP-ASCP, MT-AMT, MT-ASCP, MT-NCA, or MT-STATE certification preferred
· One of the above certifications may substitute for one year of the required experience
· 3 years’ experience in a laboratory setting applicable to their area of responsibility required