About Texas Children's HospitalSince 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years. Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation. To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org. Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Behavioral Health Technician - someone who works well in a fast-paced hospital setting. In this position, you'll be responsible to ensure the safety of patients at risk of harm to self or others, under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN). Care will be delivered that incorporates Family Centered Care in a cost-effective manner and is developmental and age appropriate for the patient population.
Think you've got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Remains with the assigned patient at all times during their assigned shift.
• Performs direct observation of the patient and monitors for at-risk behavior. Monitors for sharps and other contraband that can cause harm to patient and others.
• Assists the nurse in providing an environment conducive to safety for patients, visitors and employees.
• Promotes healthy coping through verbal support and implementation of behavior plan by the health care team.
• Uses knowledge of behavioral health diagnosis and/or developmental disabilities to understand the presenting problem and
· provides therapeutic direction and feedback to the patient.
• Responds during an acute behavioral health crisis using the least restrictive measures to ensure patient safety.
• Uses non-violent crisis intervention techniques to prevent escalation and violence.
• Assists with activities of daily living (ADLs).
• Supports the nurse and/or members of the health care team in application of restraints as a means of reinforcing safety in structured routines.