About Texas Children's HospitalTexas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands is north Houston’s first true, free-standing pediatric hospital designed, equipped and staffed exclusively to provide care in more than 25 areas of specialty care for children and adolescents. Hospital facilities include 24 emergency center rooms, outpatient exam rooms, radiology rooms, operating rooms and acute care beds, as well as a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org. Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Technical Specialist – someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will oversee workflow and perform quality assurance duties in the laboratory section of your responsibility. You may also serve as team leader, scheduler, and primary trainer for the section.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
· Performs specimen testing, quality control, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting and of the associated specimen testing processes, procedures, and documentation
· Validates specimen identification per hospital and departmental policies and procedures and appropriateness of sample type and size; processes according to specimen handling protocols defined in standard operating procedures
· Manages special projects and performs tests
· Manages projects in collaboration with medical staff and other personnel as negotiated by Medical Director
· Performs and documents quality control procedures
· Assists with the performance of proficiency studies and surveys, ensuring that materials are processed, tested, and reported accurately; investigates problems or unacceptable results and completes necessary documentation
· Performs instrument function checks, calibration, maintenance, and evaluation
· Performs or supervises performance and documentation of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on the instruments and equipment in the section; maintains record keeping system
· Participates in the teaching of other personnel; MT and MLT internship programs; participates in continuing education
· Demonstrates theoretical and practical knowledge of procedures and instrumentation, maintains expertise in specialty area, and exhibits enthusiasm while teaching students, new employees, and others in a clear communication style
· Takes inventory and orders supplies in Material Management’s system; monitors expiration dates. Assists with troubleshooting backorders and related problems
· Performs other essential job-related functions
· Performs laboratory in-charge duties on weekends and holidays in the absence of supervisorial or administrative personnel
· Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biological science required
· Master’s degree (or higher) in biological, chemistry, or laboratory science may substitute for one year of the required experience
· BB-ASCP, C-ASP, CLSP-NCA, G-ASCP, HT-ASCP, HTL-ASCP, M-ASCP, MB-ASCP, MLS-ASCP, MP-ASCP, MT-AMT, MT-ASCP, MT-NCA, or MT-STATE certification preferred
· One of the above certifications may substitute for one year of the required experience
· 3 years’ experience in a laboratory setting applicable to their area of responsibility required