About Texas Children's Hospital
Strategically located throughout the greater Houston area, Texas Children's Health Centers offer the same high-quality pediatric subspecialty care as our hospital – right in your neighborhood. Staffed by pediatric specialists from Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, our teams are trained to care for the physical and emotional needs of children and adolescents. Working closely with a child's primary-care physician, our specialists diagnose health conditions and develop patient-specific treatment plans.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
We are searching for a Diabetes Education Specialist -- someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will provide assessment, goal setting, education and behavioral intervention, and on-going case management to patients and caregivers to promote diabetes self-management in the inpatient and ambulatory settings.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Teaches patient/family skills for diabetes self-management. Assesses patient family knowledge, individualized the education plan based on learner’s social, economic, cultural and age- appropriate need
- Evaluates patient needs at appropriate intervals and suggests appropriate management strategies, including IIM and diabetes technology
- Documents all patient care related activities within the medical record according to established guidelines and formats
- Develops and provides education materials and resources for TCH staff, patients, caregivers, and the community
- Maintains practice at appropriate levels by attending continuing education activities and staying abreast of current evidence-based practice
- Implements proper protocols for diabetes patient management
- Provides case management related services including requests for durable medical equipment, preauthorization paperwork, and coordination of care with other healthcare providers
- When appropriate a Diabetes Education Specialist with an RD/RDN credential, may assess and provide nutritional care to patients
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- CDCES from the Certification Board of Diabetes Care and Education required
- RN or RD license from the Commission on Dietetic Registration required
- LD from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Dietitians preferred
- 2 years professional clinical experience required
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.