About Texas Children's HospitalSince 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years. Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation. To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org. Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Technical Specialist -- someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will oversee workflow and perform quality assurance duties. This role also may serve as team leader, scheduler, and primary trainer.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
· Performs specimen testing (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR set-up, DNA sequencing, etc.), quality control, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting on all next-generation sequencing testing workflows.
· Performs routine and special test procedures with accuracy, consistency, and timeliness according to the policies & procedures, recognizing and troubleshooting questionable orders and results. Assists with all NGS validations studies and other projects in collaboration with technical and professional staff and other personnel as negotiated by Medical Director; collaborates with medical director as appropriate in applied research and publications
· Performs and assists with the performance and documentation of quality control procedures and monitors and submits timely reports to the supervisor and/or assistant director and maintains validity of processes/results
· Assists with the development of processes/written procedures required for the implementation of new or modified testing and quality program essentials
· Performs or supervises performance and documentation of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on the instruments and equipment in the section; maintains record keeping system
· Acts as lead trainer in section, assisting the supervisor or supervisor in creating and producing training materials and assessment tools, assists supervisor or supervisor to create and perform annual competency testing and assures 100% of staff is assessed
· Takes inventory, Perform basic lab maintenance tasks such as ordering laboratory reagents, oligonucleotides, and other lab supplies, keeps detailed lab records in Material Management’s system, and monitors expiration dates
· Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all employees unless approved for a medical or religious exemption
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers, and professional staff. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and critical problem-solving abilities.
· Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biological science or applied administration required
· A master’s degree or higher in biological, chemistry or laboratory science may substitute for one year of the required experience
· BB-ASCP, C-ASCP, CLSP-NCA, H-ASCP, HT-ASCP, HTL-ASCP, M-ASCP, MB-ASCP, MLS-ASCP, MP-ASCP, MT-AMT, MT-ASCP, MT-NCA, or MT-STATE certification preferred
· One of the above certifications may substitute for one year of the required experience
· 3 year of wet lab experience performing molecular biology procedures required (NGS preferred)